August 29, 2011

Bread Pudding

My whole family was a little disappointed when we discovered the bread we bought for dinner was not up to its usual delicious quality. Expecting a fresh and chewy loaf of Italian bread, we scrunched our noses when we bit into this this dry and crumby bread. As I was making dinner tonight, I realized this bread was going to continue sitting in the bread basket until it got moldy and eventually thrown out. However, before I could let this loaf of bread pitifully go to waste, I decided I would try something new - bread pudding! I found this simple recipe online and whipped up a pan of this home-style comfort dessert.

BREAD PUDDING
10 slices white bread cubed 
5 tbsp. melted butter
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
5 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups hot milk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

Cut bread into cubes of desired size. Pour melted butter, cinnamon, and raisins over bread and mix until combined.

In a separate bowl whisk eggs. Stir in sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add hot milk cup by cup, stirring between each addition.

Dump the bread cubes into greased 9x13 pan. Pour egg mixture over the bread cubes.

Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.

Would be great served warm with vanilla ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment