December 8, 2011

Blackberry Ice Cream

I told you about the new ice cream maker that I bought on Black Friday, so you are probably wondering if I have tried it out. The verdict...I LOVE IT! It is so easy to use and makes the perfect ice cream. I have to say I was skeptical as to whether I could make ice cream that had a good taste and texture. However, now I have put trust in my ice cream maker that I will get a delicious batch every time. Per my usual tendencies, I couldn't settle on making just one flavor, I had to try two different flavors in the first go-round. After looking for the two perfect and most appetizing ice cream recipes on the internet (haha, like I will never be able to make ice cream again), I decided on a Fresh Blackberry Ice Cream and Brown Butter Pecan ice cream. A little sweet and salty duo! The flavors were so much better than any store bought ice cream - I am in love with my new ice cream maker. It was worth every penny, and if you like ice cream even remotely as much as I do, I suggest buying one.

BLACKBERRY ICE CREAM
1½ cups half-and-half
1 cup granulated sugar
pinch of salt
1½ cups heavy cream
4 large egg yolks
1½ cups strained blackberries purée (blend fresh or thawed frozen berries)
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Place blackberries in a blender. I bought four small packages, and probably used a total of 4 cups to get 1.5 cups of purée. After the berries are blended, pour the mixture through a strainer to get out the seeds. Use a spoon to help press the mixture through a strainer.



Whisk together the egg yolks with half of the sugar.

Warm the half-and-half, pinch of salt and about half of the sugar in a medium saucepan. 

Slowly pour the warm liquid into the egg yolks, whisk constantly, then once mixed, pour back into the saucepan.

Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula.  

Pour the cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer over the top. Pour the saucepan ingredients through the strainer into the cream.

Mix in the raspberry purée and lemon juice, then stir until cool.

Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze according to ice cream makers instructions.

Makes 1.5 Quarts

Recipe from A Whisk and A Spoon
Happy Baking!