November 25, 2011

Carol's Sugar Cookies

It has been a while since I have had time to bake. Hopefully with the holidays around the corner I will have more reasons to put my apron back on! Last night was the first time I went out for Black Friday shopping, and I now believe this is an experience everyone should have at some time in their life. The first store opened at 10 pm, and I did not go to bed until 5:30 am. I was not looking for anything in particular, but had a few gift cards to spend, so figured it would be fun to go find a few deals. My best purchase? A Cuisinart ice cream maker. I have been wanting one of these so badly! I can't wait to try it out, and I have found some fun ice cream recipes, so be sure to check back soon to see my newest ice cream creations. Tonight I had a little free time, so inspired by the Christmas music that is starting to play on the radio, I decided to make my first Christmas cookies of the season. This is my favorite sugar cookie recipe from my friend Carol. I can never make them taste as good as she makes them taste, but they are always delicious and get eaten quickly because they are so good!

CAROL'S SUGAR COOKIES
4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 lb. butter
1cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp. almond or vanilla extract
1 tsp. salt

Combine room temperature butter and sugar. Add eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add baking soda and salt. Gradually add flour.

Roll out dough 1/4 inch thick and cut into circles with cookie cutter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

ICING
1/2 cup butter
1 lb. powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
4 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients, gradually adding the powdered sugar until well combined.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies.