September 21, 2012

Studying, Studying, and Cookies!



It tugs at my heart to know that my baking blog hasn't been updated in over a month. However, it isn't for lack of interest, no, I am officially a college kid. With all of the classes, clubs, and commitments, it is hard to find time for cookies! Even with delicious desserts in the dining hall (think self serve fro-yo!), it has been sad to spend time away from my Kitchen Aid mixer. Since I couldn't pack up all of my cookie sheets and mixing bowls, I am happy that my school has baking materials that students can check out for all of the impromptu baking that goes on!

Yesterday was the perfect occasion for baking. Word has gotten out that I have a baking blog, and it is hard to keep denying my fellow students delicious baked goods. How else can I convey that my alias is Betty Crocker!

What made yesterday an even better occasion to bake is that my friend Hannah and I had our first college chemistry test. We spent many hours practicing problems, reviewing our polyatomic ions, and lugging around our textbooks, but needless to say, science tests in college are challenging. So what does one do after suffering through a 2 1/2 hour chemistry test? Bake my favorite cookies!

No joke, these cookies are my favorite. Brown butter chocolate chip cookies will please everyone's sweet tooth - whether you enjoy the traditional chocolate chip cookie or you set your cookie standards higher, this recipe is perfect. With two sticks of butter and brown sugar, how could they not be???

The aroma of brown butter was escaping the community kitchen, and I made many new friends who couldn't wait to taste the cookies! Nothing puts a smile on people's faces like receiving a homemade cookie. Typically cookies made in college are from Toll House pre-made dough, but after tasting these cookies, my friends understand why I adhere to higher standards :)

My resources for baking and photo taking were limited, but nonetheless, here is a recipe for no-fail cookies. So whether you need cookies for a bake sale, a party, or simply to indulge after a hard chemistry test, these cookies are for you. I hope to periodically keep updating the site, and look forward to Thanksgiving and Winter break when I can bake up a storm! Until then, Happy Baking!

The dorm community kitchen!
BROWN BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
printable recipe
2 sticks butter
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Studying chemistry...
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Brown butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until it is melted and turns amber in color. Allow butter to cool.

Cream brown sugar, sugar, and melted butter. Add eggs and vanilla.

Mix in flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 12-16 minutes depending on your preferences!

Yields 40 cookies.

Recipe adapted from one of my favorite baking blogs Sweet Peony!

Enjoy!




3 comments:

  1. Your # 1 Sprinkle Charms fan!September 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM

    Love, love, love your blog post and can just imagine the aroma in that dorm! Happy adventures in your new college life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That was a great post and that cookies looks delicious. You presented it well and you did a nice job :). I will try this at home . Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very glad that I came across here in your post and discover this delicious blog :) I am a cookie addict and I love making cookies too. Big thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete