February 26, 2012

Almond Cupcakes with Blackberry Cream Cheese Frosting

Have you ever started making a recipe, only to learn you are out of one of the ingredients? You would think that after making many late night trips to the store, mid-recipe, I would learn to check for all of the ingredients I need before I start baking. However, when I started making these cupcakes, they didn't call for any unusual ingredients, so I was caught off guard when I discovered I was out of all-purpose flour! Normally I am good at coming up with substitutes for missing ingredients, but flour is essential in cupcake recipes.

I did another thorough investigation of my pantry, hoping I wouldn't have to venture out to the grocery store. In the back of the bottom shelf, I was pleased to discover a semi-old, half-used bag of bread flour. I can't remember what I had used bread flour for (I usually stick to all-purpose flour for all of my baking), but the combination of wanting to use up the flour and my desire to not have to go to the store initiated a new baking adventure. I decided I would use bread flour in my cupcakes.

My thoughts...would my cupcakes rise into small mountains, not rise at all, take longer to bake, have overcooked centers? After doing a little research on bread flour, I learned that it has higher protein content than all purpose flour. What does this mean for baking? Technically, bread flour should give your final product more "structure" and coarser crumbs than all-purpose flour. My taste test verdict - these could possible be the  best white cupcakes I have ever tasted! If you have any leftover bread flour sitting in your pantry, waiting to be used, give these cupcakes a try. I think they will be equally delicious no matter what type of flour you use!

ALMOND CUPCAKES
printable recipe
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 cup bread flour or all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream butter and sugar until combined.

Add eggs and almond extract.

Mix in flour, baking powder, and salt, alternating with the milk. Mix until just combined.

Fill lined cupcake pan with batter.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

BLACKBERRY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
4 ounces cream cheese
3 tbsp. butter
3 cups powdered sugar
10 blackberries

Cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Mix in blackberries until smooth. Add powdered sugar until desired sweetness is achieved.

Frost cooled cupcakes and garnish with sprinkles and chocolate chip.

Yields 12 frosted cupcakes.

Recipe adapted from Crazy About Cupcakes.

Enjoy!




6 comments:

  1. Ah, I've totally done that before...in fact, just yesterday I was in the middle of baking something and realized I didn't have vanilla extract! Thankfully my neighbor had some, but sometimes improvising leads to great recipes! These look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... Bread flour... Maybe you made those infamous new york times choc chip cookies? :)

    These look fabulous! It really is amazing how just a simple different flour type can change the structure of something for bad... or good!

    Thanks for the tip!

    xoxo

    - Eve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these the other day after seeing it on Pinterest and they were delicious! I used All-purpose flour (I didn't have bread flour) and cut down the sugar in both the cupcake and frosting.

    The only thing is that I had to pick out all the middle thingys from the blackberries in the frosting. And next time I would add more almond extract as I didn't find it "almondy" enough.

    They did come out super cute and so yummy, I can't wait to make them again! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made these cupcakes many times based on your recipe and they are delicious! Love the blackberry frosting also. Family loves them every time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ich weiß nicht, woran es liegt, aber bei mir werden die cupcakes überhaupt nichts.

    ReplyDelete